Tuesday 5 May 2009

Double stamping challenge..

Over at the SIS Club on Flickr, the very talented Agnes the Red sets up a bimonthly project and challenge with great tutorials. I don't always get time to take part but the current one is creating collage backgrounds by double stamping so I thought I would have a go.






I picked two stamps that looked similar to the ones that Ange had used in her tutorial and some others that also looked like they would give a good contrast. Because I was concentrating on understanding how the two stamps should work together I used a plain background and/or two colour inks to start. The trick (I think!!) is to have one stamp that is quite fine and one that has large areas of positive and negative. I used rubber stamps, but I can see how clear acrylics might have an advantage. A good juicy ink is also probably a good idea - although the one I did with a lilac versacolour ink actually showed through the Archival ink I stamped over it - not the idea at all but I thought it looked OK. Craft is full of happy accidents. Anyhow the most successful was probably the lady and the text stamps so I got carried away with this combo - the whole lot are on my Flickr gallery. The second part of the project is to create something using this technique - these are what I made with the two pieces of stamping shown above. The second part of the tag is also double stamped.









This final piece is using a very detailed piece of backing paper - I decided to pop it into a little memory glass frame (bought these ages ago - a must have - and have never used them). I might even stamp and emboss onto the glass to add some more depth but for now I quite like it like this.

I've gone on a bit (trust me Ange's tutorial is much easier to understand!!) but am really pleased I tried this out. I love stamping, and have a lot of stamps, but am very bad at using them in creative ways so this has been a great exercise for me - and you know what a technique freak I am anyway!!

Next post will be for the MAY GIVE AWAY.....

7 comments:

Renee (nayski) said...

they're gorgeous - I haven't even looked at SIS yet

Flippinpest said...

Beautiful pieces. I think your art is fantastic, keep it up!

Creative Chaos said...

Stunning !!! I think I have to take a look at that tutorial :-)
Patti xx

Ange J Lee said...

Firstly...a BIG THANKS for taking part in the project Cindy...and spreading the word about SIS!
The pieces you've created are wonderful and you've mastered the technique perfectly. As I've said..there are no right or wrong ways to do this...and your 'happy accident' just shows what other effects can be achieved with double stamping. Love the butterfly card (oriental theme right up my street - as you well know!)...WHY ISN'T THIS PIECE UPLOADED TO FLICKR...it should be...it's lovely!
Ange X

Viv said...

Great work Cindy. Must have a go at this challenge too.

vintage wil said...

Beautiful artwork!!!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. Cindy...it created a route to visit you. I have really enjoyed your art pieces, they are gorgeous. Your transfers are wonderful, btw. I love to garden as well, but it is still too cold to do much outdoors besides pruning. We had frost again last night. I am in south-central Canada but the roses are coming and the bulbs and perennials are showing.

What's n Your Work Desk? Wednesday # 773

  Morning deskers, welcome to our weekly Wednesday Blog Hop - WOYWW. Here's the link to the one responsible, the lovely   Julia at Stamp...