Tuesday 18 August 2009

Oh those stamps just keep on coming.......

but apparently there is hope for those of us who just can't say 'NO' to stamps. Apparently we cannot help it, if you want to know why, pop over to this FLICKR thread to see. Oh dear, it really is a very sorry state of affairs when grown women admit they prefer to spend their money on stamps and inks than shoes and handbags!!

In my bargain bundle of stamps I had several of the 'photo' type. I don't always have the greatest success with these, but was advised that you need a good ink (I used a new stazon pad) and gloss card or paper to get the best results. I am not sure how well some of these photos have reproduced - I think its a bit like photographing the telly - it gets very pixellated!! Photo stamps also often seem a bit better when viewed from further away - I can't really explain it but it's true!!



Anyhow, thought I would try a couple out, this first one is a very hard one to use - it is a photo of a statue of some kind and it's really easy to lose the detail. I tried to bring it out by just lightly inking part of the image. It's difficult to see how I would use this stamp very often - but maybe it would work in a collage.



As you can see, the second one I tried out was basically a little 'photo' of a vintage lady reading on her sofa. Again, in some ways quite a limited stamp but I have managed to make three ATCs with this one. Here are the other two:





The third photo stamp I tried out was a very pretty vintage girl with quite nice detail, and a bit easier to use than the previous two I think. I wanted to use two backgrounds that I had made earlier but as they were a bit bumpy here and there was reluctant to try and stamp straight on to them - so for these two I stamped onto plain white tissue paper, coloured it lightly with ink and then glued it (you could also use gel medium) on to the ATC. For try outs I think they worked pretty well, and even if I don't use these stamps again for a while at least I know what they can do now.





and that's what you call rationalising lol.

10 comments:

Robin said...

I like your rationale! I am a sucker for unmounted rubber in grab bags...I think I like the surprise of not knowing what I'm gonna get more than anything:)

Viv said...

Ooooo you are soooooo bad buying all these stamps!!!! LOL They are GORGEOUS!!! Please tell me where you got them so I can feed my addiction (and of course blame Maureen again not you......)

(Oh and I was advised to use Versafine on photograph stamps) x

Carol said...

These are all gorgeous x

Sherry said...

Oh yes Cindy, you do have it bad - lol. Gorgeous ATCs - all of them! I like the photo type stamps and what you've done with them is wonderful! I'd love to know where you're getting them all from too.

Bel said...

Hi Cindy great work, love the one with the butterfly and lady, very pretty. I must say I am starting to get a bit of a collection of stamps myself. Take care.
Belinda

The Sparkly Fairy said...

Thanks Cindy for the lovely comments you left on my blog, thesparklyfairy. I am on docrafts, but my name on there is emmals. You said you had something for me on your blog??

The Sparkly Fairy said...

thank you for your kind comments on my site. I apologise if you get this message twice! You said you'd left me something on your blog?

Maureen said...

Versafine ink is best for photo stamps! also work on the back side of a mouse mat - anyway those images look lovely Cindy!!

Maureen said...

Just read Viv's post - the things I get blamed for!!!

Deborah said...

Despite your reservations, they turned out beautifully, Cindy. I've never tried photo stamps myself. Maybe if they have any at Blade Rubber on Wednesday I might treat myself.

What's n Your Work Desk? Wednesday # 773

  Morning deskers, welcome to our weekly Wednesday Blog Hop - WOYWW. Here's the link to the one responsible, the lovely   Julia at Stamp...