Thursday 31 January 2013

You gotta have heart.... more Valentine stuff....


Just before Christmas a very dear friend I work with suddenly produced a huge stash of red buttons on cards and said - 'I saw these for a couple of quid in some shop and thought you could make something nice with them'. Sounds like a challenge!!

The buttons are nothing special, although judging by the cards they were on look quite old but not vintage. I had the large heart base in my stash (gifted by someone a while ago - netty? was it you?) but it's very thick and I wasn't sure about drilling holes through it (OK the truth is I am way too lazy to try and find my dremel) so I mounted it on a canvas and put a hanging string on that. The buttons looked really wrong 'naked' so I laboriously tied a little knot hrough each one - much better. I even got out my needle and thread again (this will not become a habit) to do the running stitch border. The heart looked a little boring with just the buttons, so I added a little fabric flower.  I'm not sure my friend was angling for a present but she's going to get it anyway. And I've still got a lot of those buttons!!


 


Quick reminder/final plug - last chance to enter the January Art Draw!! Click here to go the the relevant post. Closes 9.00 pm this evening.

10 comments:

Netty said...

No, it wasn't me Cindy.
Loving your buttoned heart and its stitching and beautiful flower. Your friend will love it. Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

TAM said...

Loving this heart your friend will be very happy to receive it I'm sure.

Brenda Brown said...

Love the use of those red button Cindy, the heart shape is so well covered with them and the flower sets it off perfectly.
hugs {brenda} x0x

SandeeNC said...

Hi Cindy, just LOVE your wall hanging, all those buttons look great, and I am like you, I don't like my buttons naked either! lol waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

Meggymay said...

This is a beautiful gift, love the flower you added as well.
Yvonne x

Elizabeth said...

This is just lovely - beautiful stitching and I like the way you've threaded each and every button :)

Those buttons look very like the ones we used back in the 60s and 70s, especially on handknitted baby and childrens cardigans ... that would make them almost vintage. They were inexpensive and washable making them very practical.

I'm sure your friend is going to love what you've done with her find. Elizabeth xx

Createology said...

Lovely. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

chrissie said...

Terrific way to use the buttons and the background is just right for the piece

Love Chrissie xx

Sandy said...

Rally neat - I love this idea!!
sandy

SusanLotus said...

Lovely creation!
Happy creative weekend to you.
:)

What's n Your Work Desk? Wednesday # 773

  Morning deskers, welcome to our weekly Wednesday Blog Hop - WOYWW. Here's the link to the one responsible, the lovely   Julia at Stamp...